Wednesday 14 March 2018

Last Week's Rehearsal

Vocal rehearsal #3 done and dusted.  I had an enforced week long hiatus due to the Beast from the East forcing me to stay indoors and wishing I was teaching the kids how to build snowmen a-la Calvin & Hobbes.



Glad to say I wasn’t as rusty as I thought I’d be.  I hadn’t listened to the songs at all for a fortnight but felt that I wasn’t looking at the lyric sheets as much as I have been in previous rehearsals so was actually quite chuffed with that.

What I wasn’t so chuffed about though was the later start time.  All the rooms were booked for my usual 9pm slot so I had to do a 10pm-midnight shift instead.  That in itself wasn’t so bad but the 5am alarm to get to the early shift at work the next morning hurt.  A lot.

As for the singing, I’m feeling quite comfortable with all the songs now so I think it’s time to start looking at the running order a bit more closely .  Currently, I'm not 'feelin' it much' as they say so I’ll be trying out different orders as there's a better running order in there somewhere.

So for next week I'm going to be trying this run. 

War Pigs (Sabbath)

Am thinking this might be the set opener and looking forward to hearing Ali having fun with this on drums.  It's a bit long so there might be a need to trim it down.

Breathe (Prodigy)

Could be a bit too heavy a start along with War Pigs but they do sound good as a pair.  Need to give more thought as to how to sing it as I'm probably too cheesy at moment.

Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)

Quite confident with this one.

History Repeating (Propellorheads)
Got to remember to start singing in my higher register.  Need to watch pitch, I sound a bit flat in places.

Istanbul (They Might Be Giants)
A bit flat in the 'oooohs' but otherwise fine.

Punch & Judy (Marillion)
Sounding ok and will hopefully get better with more practise.

Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Living Colour)
Another one where I'm looking forward to hearing Ali play.  Got to watching breathing at the multiple 'ugly' section.

Stone Cold Crazy (Queen)

Got the proper lyrics now!  What a difference that makes.  Phew!

Whippin' Post (Allman Bros)
I really like singing this one.  I hope I don't clam up in front of people but I fear I might.

Two Tribes (Frankie Goes To Hollywood)
Still got issues with phrasing but no so much now.

ON THE BENCH: Crazy Horses (Osmonds)
I'd still like to try it out but due to set length and that it needs a second singer for the register jump in the verses, this is probably first on the subs bench.

I kinda like the way this set starts with doomy heavy metal and ends with 80's NRG electro pop.  I would NEVER have seen that coming!

I really, really hope I don't clam up and start singing within myself in front of people.  That's a big fear for me at the moment as I'm actually pleased with how the singing is progressing.  I'm being a bit of a sad sack at the moment and watching a lot of vocal coaching videos on YouTube 


This guy

I guess it must be sinking in as I hear a lot of improvement in my vocals.  I'm not there by any means yet but I'm gaining confidence the more I practise.  Having said that, I realise this could easily just be nothing more than delusional thoughts but I'm going to put all thoughts like that down to my brain trying to fuck with me.


I've also joined a lunch time choir at work who meet for an hour once a week.  It's not much but it's still good practise and a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  I can certainly see myself keeping that on long after the gig's over.

Anyway, that's all fir the noo.

F

No comments:

Post a Comment